Wifi and Network Indicator

Those who are new to Hamara GNU/Linux post your questions here
bala

Wifi and Network Indicator

Postby bala » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:00 am

Hi

I have installed Hamara Beta 2 recently and run all the updates on it. It looks very slick and the usability is quite smooth. I don't know how closely it resembles gnome 3 stock as I jumped to Mint and KDE when Gnome 3 came around.

It is running on a Toshiba Laptop C840-I4010 (Core i3, 4 GB RAM, Onboard Intel Graphics). Display and Wifi are working normally. However, I have to click on the power button on the top right hand corner to see the wifi status. Also the ethernet connectivity status is not shown even then. Is there a way to add these kind of indicators to the top panel?

Bala

vik

Re: Wifi and Network Indicator

Postby vik » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi Bala,

I think that might be related to
http://bugs.hamaralinux.org/show_bug.cgi?id=41

Vik
Vikas Tara
Founder - Hamara Linux

bala

Postby bala » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:29 am

Thanks Vik. I won't try the workaround listed there for now. Will wait for a bug fix.

cheers
Bala

libregeekingkid

Postby libregeekingkid » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi

I have installed Hamara Beta 2 recently and run all the updates on it. It looks very slick and the usability is quite smooth. I don't know how closely it resembles gnome 3 stock as I jumped to Mint and KDE when Gnome 3 came around.

It is running on a Toshiba Laptop C840-I4010 (Core i3, 4 GB RAM, Onboard Intel Graphics). Display and Wifi are working normally. However, I have to click on the power button on the top right hand corner to see the wifi status. Also the ethernet connectivity status is not shown even then. Is there a way to add these kind of indicators to the top panel?

Bala
Hey Bala,
Take a look at extensions.gnome.org

Try adding any indicators you wish for top panel from there.

vik

Postby vik » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:05 am

It appears that it's a feature of gnome3 - but the question is - do we think it needs enhancing?
Vikas Tara
Founder - Hamara Linux

bala

Postby bala » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:28 am

On a rare occasion when I booted into hamara linux without a wifi present, I saw the indicator. Once connected it disappears. I suppose it is needed only when we have multiple networks we might connect to and want to know which one is connected (situation at my work place!). I am ok either way I guess.

vik

Postby vik » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:05 pm

I am seeing the opposite.

When I have no wireless connected I see no Icon.

When I am connected I do see a wireless icon.

If I connect an additional network device (a tata photon in my case), the icon switches to the new connection.

Bala - can you try a dist-upgrade? You may not be getting all the updates released since we went final.
Vikas Tara
Founder - Hamara Linux

Return to “Newbie Questions”